Monday, June 25, 2012

Thing 9-eReaders and eBooks

eBook Overdrive.  With Capital Region BOCES launching Overdrive this year, I decided it would be a good time to also jump-start my own eBook usage.  I have an iPad with Nook, Kindle, and Kobo apps, I also use iBooks.  I have been slowly acquiring digital formats of new cookbooks because my bookshelf in the kitchen is full.  I love the sample feature in iBooks, it allows you to check out a small piece of a book so you don't have to commit.   I haven't used eBooks as much as I would like partly because for me, I do most of my reading in water (tub or floating in the pool).  If someone can recommend something to keep my iPad out of the water I would greatly appreciate it.  

Prior to Overdrive I was an extensive digital magazine reader.  I love the Newstand App for magazines and will NEVER buy another print magazine again.  There are so many amazing features that can be added to a magazine-video tutorials, links to featured product websites, and the images are amazing on the iPad.  


Back to eBooks.  I began purchases eBooks through Follett last year.  Our school uses Destiny and I have purchased many popular picture books that teachers request (so they can project them for the class), as well as multi-user nonfiction materials.  The way our system works is that students can use the book right from their computer.  So far they have not been able to "check-out," or download materials for a loan period.  They can view items when they need them on their screen and then close the book and use it later.  They can filter their search in Destiny to only see the eBooks we currently own.  I suspect I will continue to buy Follett eBooks for Destiny, however, I may stick to more reference type titles and use Overdrive for items that students may want to read for pleasure.  

I am excited to have overdrive so students can download both audio and eBooks.  I used overdrive as a launch pad to get students excited about summer reading.  Most students have access to a device that will support some type of eBook or audiobook, either their own, or one that belongs to an adult.  For parents, having a few eBooks on their phone may be an easy way to sneak in some summer reading, in between rounds of Angry Birds that is.  

To aid in the launch I spent the last weeks of school talking up Overdrive.  In student report cards I sent home instructions for accessing Overdrive.  Students went home with bookmarks provided by the SLS.  

I also added a link with the icon pic to my website for easy access.  I am just waiting for the webmaster to add a direct link from our school's main website as well.  

See my site here.

My first Overdrive eBook-Twilight book 4-Didn't like it and didn't finish. 

#2-Just finished Sold...Not bad, good choice for a someone who doesn't like to read because it is written in free verse.  

Books at school:  As a side note, we just adopted a new math series for MS that offers a digital text book for students who would like that option.  I would have killed to have that option.  If the digital product is as intuitive and informative as Martha Stewart Living for the iPad (video tutorials on food, crafts, outside links, etc.) , students are going to love to having Math homework.  







No comments:

Post a Comment